Translator

July 16, 2012

Living with a Disease

In high school, I was sick a lot. I could never understand why. I wouldn't be able to eat a full meal. My skin would break out and slowly get worse. My stomach felt full even though I wouldn't be hungry. I would get so bloated, I'd look 3 months pregnant. I felt heavy. Everything felt wrong.

I was in the hospital 2 or 3 times in 3 years. It took 3 years to diagnose. From March to November of 2009, I visited my doctor 7 times, had 3 blood tests, 2 hospital trips, and an ultrasound. It was horrible. They were the worst years of my life, I think. I was always sick, always slow and heavy. I didn't know why. 


July 15, 2011 - I received blood tests results from my doctor and had questions. There were asterisks next to things I didn't really understand. What did they mean? My doctor told me I had Celiac Disease. That my intestines weren't working correctly. That I eating healthy food was BAD for me! 


I never thought I would ever be allergic to whey/wheat products. Ever. No one in my family had it and usually it's genetic. I always ate healthy, ever since I was a little kid. I always played sports and needed the carbs. But this wasn't the case. 


Celiac Disease is a digestive condition that ruins the lining of your intestines. I didn't realize that by eating bread, I was damaging my organs. Just like I didn't realize that by using Aveeno, I was damaging my skin! For me, it isn't just about consuming wheat products. Yes, I will have to live without gluten. No more pasta, pizza, pastries, or bread for me. But I also can't use cosmetic or beauty products on my skin if there is wheat in them. Aveeno I definitely can't use because most of their products have wheat. 


The only products I can consume have to be gluten free.


Now I have been living a "GF" life for 1 year :)

2 comments:

  1. HEY....BEAUTIFUL THINK OF IT LIKE THIS THEIR ARE MANY PPL LIVING WITH SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS THAN YOU ARE LIVING BUT THRU IT ALL YOUR BLESSED LOVED AND ADMIRED AND DON'T FORGET VERY BEAUTIFUL....YOU HAVE LIFE AS BEING THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WHO CAN HELP SOMEONE ELSE MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR LIFE THRU YOURS.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/16/2012

    this whole blog is beautiful!Good for Marie :)-jt

    ReplyDelete