Translator

September 13, 2012

9/4 - 9/10

The last week of my life in Rome has been quite interesting and extremely exciting, mainly because my birthday was over the weekend! But my birthday is not the only opportunity I have to go out in Rome. For class on Tuesday, my Roman History professor preferred we go to Largo Argentina, a small area in Rome made up of rocks and such. (But Rome has many areas of random rocks and such!) This area, Largo Argentina, is significant in Roman History – hence why my prof brought us there. The area was one of the many sites of temples. Largo Argentina TODAY (as opposed to the area in Roman History) is now a population of cats living on unleveled rubble. (Please note the pictures of cats on my FB.)
Largo Argentina has some of the oldest buildings, dating back to 3rd century BC. We know that these areas were once temples because they contained statues, probably made of gold and ivory. There are 4 temples that were found, but only 3 (maybe 3.5 if you take a really good look) were excavated. Why? Excavation is extremely expensive, which my prof explained in a very detailed manner…and I can’t remember. All I know is that it takes a lot of time and money to do it. Most of the 4th temple is underground, under a road. It’s pointless to excavate it now because cars, buses, and people are practically all over the road most of the day. But that’s Largo Argentina.
Wednesday – Friday afternoon were a breeze because I only have 1 class on each of those days at 3.30pm (until class times change later in the semester). However, I did have my first midterm. Yeah – first week of September and I had a MIDTERM EXAM. It was in my Italian class, which is intensely fast-paced. Right now my one Italian class is 3 hours, Monday to Friday. I did well on the midterm, which I got back yesterday with a surprising B+. But I’m slightly peeved that I didn’t get an A in Italian – but it’s whatever. I AM in an advanced class and everyone else gives me props for being in a 211 level class so I’ll just take the B+.
But Friday morning, after I was completely done studying for my exam, I was helping the beginner students study. By the sound of it, their exams were SO EASY. They studied numbers, UN vs. LA, and basic vocabulary (boy, girl, etc.). I was like…wth. They were also studying basic verb conjugations (I have, I am, I eat, I sleep, etc.). I was helping them all study though, so it was a nice little review for me.
Friday night, a whole bunch of people came out with me for my birthday! We went to a discoteca (club) in Testaccio by the river. We got a little lost on the way there, but it was totally worth it. It was called Coyote. The drinks were strong, the dance floor was lively, and I was getting hit on all night. It was fantastic. Two people bought me birthday drinks (because they were so strong I couldn’t drink anymore) & I danced all night with a ton of my friends. It was the best birthday ever – completely unforgettable. At midnight, we each had drinks in our hands and toasted to me turning 20! The guys were hot too. OMGG – my friend Sarah tried setting me up with one guy, but he couldn’t dance well. I found out he was from Argentina though…but not my type. Some other guy tried to pull me in to dance with him but he was older and creepy so I shook him off. And then my friend Ashley met this guy Marco (and got his number) and passed his Italian-speaking friend, Nico, off to me. Except I don’t remember what he looked like, though I remember him having dark hair, and I couldn’t understand what he was trying to say to me because the music was so damn loud. Foreign language + some drinks + loud music = I can’t understand a damn word you’re saying, dude. But my friends left with me and made sure I was good to get home. After walking around in fresh air, I was set. I talked to the bus driver to make sure we got back home safely without getting horribly lost (plus no one else understood/spoke much Italian) and I walked the 2-3 blocks home safe after getting Ashley a cab home. Everyone got home safe! I’m super anal about getting home safe – I texted 4 people when I got in.
It was so much fun. However, due to the previous getting-in-the-house-after-going-out situation with Rosa (my host mother), the faculty isn’t sure if I’m a party girl. I just laughed when I heard that and they’ve even asked me. So here’s an example of what I would tell them: You can ask any of my friends here – especially Shannon who lived with me sophomore year – I don’t drink in DC. I’ll have wine with dinner at home, sure, but I’m not a drinker. I went out once to see what Campo Dei Fiori was like & once for my birthday. I’m not even going out again until October or November, so it’s all good here. Now I have chances to explore Rome.
Good enough? Some of the Loyola students go out almost every night and I have no idea why. It’s so much money, the drinks here are expensive, and all they seem to do is put up pictures of the people who are completely toasted by the end of the night. Plus some of the Loyola students aren’t too friendly – they aren’t getting to know people from CUA. I’m not being mean, just making an observation. I’ve met tons of nice people from Loyola and I think some that I’ve met are really nice people. It’s just a shame that others don’t branch out.
Saturday was the program trip to Castelli Romani. My actual birthday! It was actually funny because I woke up to a bud of flower petals on my balcony. God remembered my birthday I guess? They were really pretty – a deep purplish pink. They are actually still sitting on my desk at home. All the students going on the trip left from school at 2pm. We took a bus down the Via Appia and walked around the area. We went down to the Catacombs of Saint Sebastian, as well as hundreds of other catacombs. It was amazing – I wish my dad saw, he would have had a field day with all of the empty tombs. And my sister would have had a field day with all of the Latin from pieces of the head stones and such. Then we went to Castel Gandolfo, where the Pope is currently living until he moves back to Rome. We saw the Pontifical Palace (where the Pope is temporarily living specifically) and the Church of St. Thomas of Villanova. After, we went to the town of Ariccia for dinner – which was actually a huge meaty feast. They gave us (for an appetizer) a bowl of mozzarella, 3 different plates of prosciutto, sausages, and another meat (I think it was a huge slab of fresh pork). For the main course, we had 2 different kinds of pasta – well I obviously didn’t but everyone was groaning about it. I had 2 roasted hamburger patties – Italian style. Then for dessert we got cookies! I was stuffed and couldn’t eat them so I didn’t have any. Then a good portion of us fell asleep on the hour and 15 minute bus ride back to campus. Mmm…food coma.
Sunday I was so horribly exhausted that I skipped mass. God will have to forgive me for a week. Monday, for my Liturgical Art & Architecture class, we met on site at the Church of St. Sabina. But I was a half hour late since I was really lost that morning. I was fine getting the bus to the metro, and then switching metro stops and got off in the right city, but when I asked 6 different people for directions, they all led me in separate directions…which is EXTREMELY unhelpful. Luckily my friend Ashley was lost too so we met up and hunted the Church down together. We made it and didn’t miss too much, thank goodness! The church was absolutely gorgeous, on a hilltop near the Church of St. Anselmo. They both sit on top of this huge hill that looks over most of Rome. Pictures are on FB!

No comments:

Post a Comment