Translator

October 23, 2013

Post-College in DC

My life schedule has been pretty hectic lately. I'm taking 6 classes as a fall semester senior, a 16hr/week internship, running the university's Ballroom Dance program, and babysitting on the weekends to earn some money. And - of course - hitting the gym. It's a bit much but it keeps me busy. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I had 4 classes as a fall semester senior and a ton of free time. I'd be bored. Me and my schedule have what some would call a love-hate relationship.

Holy crap, I'm a college senior. Remember when you were graduating from college? It's different now than when my parents, or even my brother, went to college. Now I'm thinking about a hundred different things - where I want to go after I graduate, when I should start applying for jobs, where I want to live, what I want to do. There's a ton of thinking going on, but I'd prefer to stay in the DMV area (DC, Maryland, Virginia - not the Department of Motor Vehicles). I love DC and the surrounding area. 

Funny enough, Forbes released an article this year on the 10 Best Cities for Newlyweds & young couples! DC made the list! Rent.com, the surveyors, said that "the nation’s capital city offers a wide breadth of romantic opportunities for newlyweds to enjoy depending on what strikes their fancy – everything from cultural excursions (the Smithsonian), to political events, to walking through slices of history at every street corner. With a high mean annual income, newlyweds are more likely to be able to enjoy all that the city offers.” I second that statement.

DC is truly an incredible place when you know where to go - or know someone who knows where to go. DC has been rebuilding to bring in new populations of people to the city, including gays and young couples, which native Washingtonians have told me didn't used to be the most popular people living in DC. So what now? Jobs applications, resume` and cover letter building, interviews, graduation photos...a lot is going on. Thankfully, I'm confident that I'll have an incredible job to get my foot into the door of the real post-college world. 

It's a little overwhelming. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment